February 13, 2012

How to Make Deco Mesh Wreaths

Deco Mesh is a common name for poly sinamay mesh which is a product used extensively by floral designers and party planners for years.

In the past, I could only purchase it from a florist but lately it has been appearing in regular craft stores like Hobby Lobby so that even us commoners can obtain it for use for decorations.

It usually comes in 21" and 5 1/2" widths and 
is very reasonably priced.



I wanted to try to use it to make wreaths also when the need
 arose for a Valentine wreath and a baby shower wreath. Wreath
forms are available in the floral sections of most craft stores.
The day I needed to buy these, only the smaller sizes were available.
They are reasonbly priced also...these were only about $2.50 each.
I could only find the smaller size mesh too so I guess it worked out.

Deco Mesh is a fun, showy product but it is also see-through.
 You need your wreath form to be a similar color to the mesh or
it just doesn't look as nice.
I painted my forms pink since that was the main color of mesh I was going to be using.

Here are the supplies I used for the baby wreath.
A circle wreath form
Pink chenille pipe cleaners
Decorative regular wired ribbon
Decorative paper baby outfits

Start by gathering the short end of the mesh in an accordian fashion
 and keep it pinched together. Attach it to the wreath form with a pipe cleaner.

The pipe cleaners (I think they call them "chenille stems" now a days) can be cut in half for this project. Bend the pipe cleaner into
 into a "U" or "V" shape. Bring the ends from the back side of the wreath. Twist it tightly on the wire on the front of the form.

Place the pinched mesh into the "arms" of the pipe cleaner and
 then twist the ends of the pipe cleaner tightly around the mesh 
to hold it in place on the wreath.

If you are going to add more mesh on top of your first piece, you can leave the "arms" open. If not, you can go on and twist
 the ends along the wire of the form to stabilize it.

After your first point of attachment, gather another section of mesh
 a little further along the length to pinch and attach to the form. 

 If you want to have a "puff", attach the gathered point close enough to your last attachment point to have some height to it.
After you get a good idea of how close together you want your attachment points to be,
you can pre-attach some pipe cleaners to the wreath form...it is a lot easier that way.

This is the wreath from behind with one row of the mesh applied.
Yikes! I meant to leave a "tail" to hang down at the beginning of the attachment process but forgot so this ended up with just one mesh tail. It is better to have a "tail" at each end to secure the mesh.

This is the wreath with with a second row of mesh attached.
You could leave the wreath like this.  I like to add more "goodies" to
the wreaths and make them a  little more substantial looking.

I added a wire-edged ribbon also on the wreath. It can be attached the same way that the mesh was attached with the pipe cleaners.
The wire wreath form had three rows of wire.  I put mesh on the inside and
outside row and the harlequin ribbon to the middle row.

I just used iron on letters to spell out the baby's name on one of
 the harlequin ribbon tails.
After this step, I added some paper baby onsies (actually they were cupcake toppers with the toothpick pulled out and hot glued on.  Note to self: do NOT hot glue an item on mesh and then push against it from the mesh side with your finger...it's MESH, not solid...major owww-ey and blister).

                            Completed wreath for Kaitlyn:
The mom will put this wreath on her hospital room door when Kaitlyn is born.
The Center for Missing Children advises not to put birth announcement-type
items on the outside of your home advertising that a new baby is inside.

The Valentine Deco Mesh wreath was constructed pretty much the the same way with a few adjustments for the heart shape.
In order to keep the heart shape visible, the mesh was wired closer to the
actual shape of the wire form and did not have as much "puff".

I had some left-over 21" inch red mesh from Christmas projects that I put on the outside layer of the wreath form.
The cut ends of the mesh tend to look messy.
 
To hide the ends of the mesh, pull them to the back of the wreath and secure them with another pipe cleaner.


Two rows of the 5 1/2" mesh were added.
This photo is after the first row was added.  Instead of puffing the mesh much, I twisted the mesh
between attachment points to add some dimension but stay close to the wreath's shape.

Even after three rounds of mesh, the wreath seemed like it still needed "something". I added a couple of rows of polka dot
wired-edge ribbon using the same technique with the pipe cleaners.
I like to use wire-edged ribbon 'cause it can be "fluffed up"
if needed.

The way that most folks have seen Deco Mesh used in the past is for enhancing Christmas trees. This next wreath is similar to that because the wreath is made of the same stuff artificial trees are made of.

The mesh was added to the wreath with pipe cleaners
in the same way the ones above were made.
You certainly can use the actual limbs on a wreath like this to add the mesh. This wreath was skimpy already so I didn't want to use the limbs to attach the mesh and make it even skimpier looking.

I used the wider mesh for the first layer and left the "arms"
of the pipe cleaners open to attach the next layer.

Then the green 5 1/2" mesh was placed on top of the red.
When you are through adding elements, just pull the ends of the pipe cleaners to the back of the wreath.

     Pull the cut ends of the mesh to the back of the wreath to hide    them and then secure them onto the wreath form

A freshening up for an old wreath:

If you get an actual wreath form or work garland made for
Deco Mesh, it comes with these color co-ordinated
 Christmas tree-type limbs to use to attach the mesh.
This photo was taken at a florist shop.

I actually like the look of the pipe cleaners better.
They are easier to hide.

Deco Mesh can be used for lots of different holidays and events.

Update:
Here are some other ways to make a wreaths with deco mesh:
(click on the highlighted text to go to the full tutorial)






Deco Mesh can also be used to make shapes other than wreaths.

Here are two different ways to make garlands. In the first one you
make the form. The second way is to buy a pre-made garland form
 (they are now more readily available than in the past).



Other deco mesh shapes you can make are carrots, pumpkins,

24 comments

  1. Great wreaths! I love to work with the deco mesh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stuff is the best thing since sliced bread. Anyone can make a great looking wreath with deco mesh. I love your baby wreath- a great gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous tutorial. I havn't worked with the mesh, but this definitely gives me some ideas. Thanks for the how to and thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    PS I am going to email you my address, I would love the corks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tutorial. I have never even heard of this mesh...but I am going to find me some...awesome projects. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miss Kitty!

    What a GREAT tutorial and just in time... for EASTER! I am in the beginning process of making an Easter wreath and this is something I think I will try.

    Thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial at my Bunny Hop Party!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    xoxo Bunny Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wreaths are beautiful.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I haven't used this before - love how much volume it gives a project! Good ideas! I laughed when I read your profile about having a blog to motivate you to finish projects. That is a little too familiar to me!!! And thanks for your comment on my blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great tutorial on how to make these. Yours are all beautiful!
    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of this mesh. Your wreaths all turned out so pretty and great tutorials - very clear. Thanks for sharing at our Link It Up Thursday party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of the wreaths are adorable! I also love the pretty statue the heart is hanging on. I haven't worked with this mesh yet but now I want too. Thanks for joining my party this week. xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute little wreaths! So festive!

    Thanks for linking them up @ Creatively Living!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that you spray painted the wreath first! Thanks for linking up at Cowgirl Up! Hope to see you again next week!
    Thanks,
    Amanda @ The Ivy Cottage Blog
    www.theivycottageblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice- these are always super expensive at the local craft sales, thank you for sharing a way to do this myself! I adore the ribbon choice for the baby girl wreath- too cute!
    ~Jen @ hutchinsonherd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are great! Thanx for sharing the how to and coming to party at my place!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your baby shower wreath. I found some useful information here: http://www.partytimebr.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for linking to MardiGrasOutlet.com for purchasing deco mesh supplies. We love your tutorials. Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your detailed photos/directions on your tutorial. How do you estimate how many yards of mesh you need for that sized wreath? I just need an idea of how many yds. per wreath, so I can fit it into a church budget. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know this is an old post, but I'm having a problem! My deco mesh wreath from last Christmas is smashed! Any ideas how to fluff it back up again?

    ReplyDelete
  20. thank you for making it as simple to do those beautiful wreath. I try one on my own and it was bad looking. the way you show work very well. keep up the help. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can someone tell me how to fluff my mesh wreath? It got smashed and Im not having luck fluffing it up again.
    Thanks everyone!
    Debra in Dallas

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have been searching everywhere for the harlequin ribbon you used in this baby girl wreath but with no luck. I know this original post is from 2012 but do you happen to remember where you purchased the harlequin ribbon? It seems to be a pretty common brand sold by most retailers but I just haven't been able to find it, no luck online either. If anybody else might know where I could find this pink & white harlequin ribbon with fur wired edge please please reply. Thanks in advance!! Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your tutorial, much easier than others I've watched. Your wreaths are beautiful without a lot of fuss....thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to comment on my blog!

© Miss Kopy Kat. Design by FCD.